Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Stogo Gourment Organic Ice Cream


A good friend of mine has been raving about Stogo's for quite some time and we recently went to check it out. Stogo's is great because it is organic and the have a couple of flavors that are coconut and hemp based. They also carry a bit of dairy-free flavors... but they are soy based. Personally, I would take organic dairy over organic soy any day, but if that's your thing you have some more choices.

Stogo's uses agave and brown rice syrup to sweeten, which understandably is still the big craze, but everytime I have agave my teeth get really sensitive, so it is definitely a sweetener I try to stay away from. I've found I actually fair better with evaporated cane juice (sugar) than agave. Check HERE for my agave post, and HERE for some alternatives.

I had the coconut based chocolate and the hemp based chocolate flavor and Anthony opted for the coconut based vanilla and the coconut based almond joy.

Stōgo Ingredients: organic soy milk (filtered water, whole organic soybeans), organic mango, organic brown rice syrup, organic agave, organic safflower oil, organic tapioca, organic vanilla, organic guar gum, organic carob bean gum. More about their nutritional information HERE.

From the chart on their site, Stogo's compares itself to Haagen Dazs in such categories as... calories, fat, cholesterol, sodium and sugars. I am not trying to pick on Stogo's, I just want to point out that counting calories and fat, etc- if you are eating a good well-balance whole foods diet (soy is not a whole food) is completely unnecessary.

As I have changed my diet and continue to learn (more about ancestral diets and how good natural fat really is for us), I have stopped thinking about calories, fat content, etc (though I must admit I've never counted calories). Why? Because I am eating whole foods... for example: butter, cream, eggs, leafy greens, fresh fruit, veggies, etc.

Fat is not going to kill you.... in fact we NEED fat and the demonized cholesterol to protect our nerves, brain cells, and also for proper hormone production. Do some research. A good place to start would be HERE. Also check out this book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.

All in all, it is nice to see there are other options like Stogo's out there and I like that they are organic and have no preservatives. Great for vegans. If you happen to be in the East Village, it is worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment