Saturday, August 7, 2010

Union Square Green (Farmer's) Market Goodness

I happen to think Union Square's Green Market is one of the best. I might be biased (I haven't been to all of them), but I come to this conclusion because they have an abundance of local farmers who are growing their food using organic methods. Although purchasing local itself is a big plus- I will not purchase local items that have been treated with chemicals and toxins. I like and choose to support farmer's who are helping the soil and the earth. It doesn't make any difference to me if they are certified or not, but they must not use chemicals, pesticides, etc.

The above lot of goodies cost me $34.50... watercress, butter lettuce, micro greens, free roaming grass fed eggs, lovely heirloom tomatoes, more purslane, and a huge basil with roots (mine doesn't grow as fast as I use it). It's all local, organic and delicious.

The first thing I made was the Roasted Carrot Avocado Salad I shared with you HERE. I just changed up the greens. YUM !

My only dislike is the use of plastic (at least it's less than in the stores)- however the greens all had root balls to keep them fresher longer so that will just have to do for now. I hope more and more vendors will make use of biodegradable plastics... soon.

Buying locally and from those farmers utilizing organic methods is enjoying the best of the best. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment