Friday, May 28, 2010

School Lunch... Now Healthier?

(Image: Farm to School
A better lunch?
Multi colors... carrots, celery + grapes.)

It's been a while since I've been in school and being that at the moment I don't have kids of my own- I am quite out of the loop in regards to what kids in America are eating at school. One could easily use their imagination though... overweight and out of shape kids who drink soda pop like it's water and have replaced running around the school yard to texting on their mobiles and poking one another on FaceBook. Vegetables anyone???

(Image: FedUpWithSchoolLunch
I swear this is the same exact pizza I would eat.
I don't remember the pretzels, carrot or orange-
probably because when I had this it would be all I ate!)

I was very fortunate to have a Mother who always packed us a healthy lunch. Thanks Mom! On a few occasions we did buy lunch at school, but only because it was junk food (pizza and tater tots come to mind) we rarely got to eat. For most kids though... this was not a treat- this was part of their daily diet. Although we might have been envious of their greasy lunches then- looking back I am so thankful it wasn't a regular part of mine.



I love this video, from Farm to School for healthier lunches for kids... and I love even more what they are about. Farm to School connects schools (K-12) and local farms with the objectives of serving healthy meals in school cafeterias, improving student nutrition, providing agriculture, health and nutrition education opportunities, and supporting local and regional farmers.

I also came across this blog: FedUpWithSchoolLunch, where Ms. Q partakes by eating the same meals the children have to for 2010. Bless her heart!

We all know how vital good nutrition really is. I expect we are going to see some big positive changes. :) Let's help make a difference.

Some additional sites/articles to check out:
Edible School Yard
Edible School Yard/ Alice Waters Post
Farm to School
Fed Up With School Lunch
Slow Food
Slow Food USA
Vogue Slow Food
NYT: Schools Add Weeding to Reading and Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment