Tuesday, July 7, 2009

GustOrganics Restaurant

(A view from across the street)

I learned about GustOrganics (pronounced "Gusto Organics") while attending the Sustainable Planet Film Festival. It's founder, Alberto Gonzalez gave a wonderful albeit brief talk, and it was noted then and there that I must try his restaurant!

Gonzalez, traveled often to New York City and found it alarming that though everything looked wonderful (perfect looking tomatoes for example)- many did not taste good (the perfect tomatoes did not taste like tomatoes). Gonzalez recalled, "when I used to stay here for business, I noticed I was more tired, lacked energy, and gained a lot of weight. I realized I took for granted the freshness and quality of the food in Argentina.” And so after polling many people he launched GustOrganics.

It is the first and only certified organic restaurant in New York- hence they use 100% USDA certified organic ingredients and it is considered one of the greenest restaurants in the world (certified as a "Green Restaurant" by the Green Restaurant Association- click HERE for all the cool details), and it is the first and only to date USDA organic bar on the planet. They are open 365 days a year for breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner.

Silly me did not take pictures of the food, but can attest that everything we had was delicious and without a doubt was made with high quality, fresh ingredients. Also, it should be noted that they have the best sangria I've ever had. I can't claim to be a sangria aficionado, but I feel comfortable with my statement- as well as this one... I love supporting businesses that have a heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment