Sunday, September 9, 2012

Chocolate Heart Cupcake and Frosting Recipe (Gluten + Grain Free + Low Glycemic)


It doesn't matter what shape... I just have these heart silicone molds so I always make heart cupcakes.  :)
I have long been a fan of Elana's, but haven't really been on her site lately, as it's too hot to bake and I don't really eat a lot of "baked" goods- even gluten and grain free ones.  However, I had a taste for something "cake-y" and I made a version of her Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes and Frosting.  They're good- not super sweet like your general run of the mill cupcakes, but they will hit the spot.

CUPCAKES
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cacao powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda (aluminum free)
4 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup xyiltol (other options: palm sugar, coconut sugar, date sugar)

Mix dry ingredients.  Add in wet ingredients.  Pour into silicon cupcake molds or a muffin pan with paper liners. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.  Cool and Serve.  Makes approximately 8 cupcakes.

FROSTING
For the frosting I used one organic dark chocolate bar from Trader Joes and mixed with 1/4 cup coconut oil and almost a tablespoon of vanilla extract.

Heated very briefly on the lowest heat and mixed together.  You can place in refrigerator for approximately 15-30 minutes to thicken.  Then whip frosting with a hand blender till it's thick and fluffy.

Frost cupcakes.  Enjoy!

* All ingredients except the eggs (which I get at the farmers market), I purchase from my favourite go to: iherb.com.  Use code: GOG211 for $5-10 off your first order.

No comments:

Post a Comment