Sunday, March 13, 2011

Gluten Free Low Glycemic Chocolate Brownie Cake Goodness Recipe

Unbelievably delicious and dare I say nutritious?

Another gluten free blog that delights my taste buds is Elana's Pantry. If you haven't already, please check it out for some amazing inspiration. Her stuff tends to lean more on the healthy side too. Love that she uses almond flour for most of her recipes.

My mouth was watering over her Black and White Cake. I first made it as written (but opted for the black and black version) and wanted to see if I could make an even lower glycemic version. The semi sweet chocolate chips I use though delicious are definitely not low in sugar. Scheesch! You'll be happy to hear I did it... successfully! And have since made a couple more versions. Here's the recipe:

1/2 Cup Coconut Milk (I've used both canned [low fat] as well as one I make [HERE]).
3/4 Cup Raw Cacao
3/4 Cup Low Glycemic sweetener ( Last time I used Xylitol, but have also used 1/2 cup Xyiltol + 1/4 cup Palm Sugar [same as Coconut Sweetener])
2 Eggs
1 1/2 Cup Almond Flour (I used unblanched almond meal- ie finely ground up almonds with the "skins")
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (Optional. These are not low glycemic, but if you opt to use the amount is minimal. Check the ingredients. Calculate.)
>> Last time I also added in 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds and used some finely ground up Brazil nuts (1/4 cup) in place of some of the Almond Flour.

Mix coconut milk, cacao, and sweeter till blended well. Add eggs and mix well. Add in the almond flour, sea salt and baking soda. For all "mixing and blending" I use a simple wooden spoon.

Coat your 8 x 8 pan lightly with an oil (I use spray olive oil- other options coconut oil or butter)
Pour in mixture.
Add the chocolate chips to top if desired.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes (If you add 1 TBSP Chia Seeds you will bake for approx 30-35 minutes).
Try not to eat it all at once. :)

Btw... I should mention that Elana talks about the importance of using blanched almond flour, but I have always used almond meal and never had any problems. Tastes rather delicious. I am not saying she is wrong-- I just want you to know that I've tried it many times in different recipes and well you have another option. I couldn't find a strict almond flour. In fact, I've even made my own almond meal myself in the blender (raw almonds + blend till as fine as possible). Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment