Saturday, February 19, 2011

Check These Links

Some of these are a little old. I meant to post earlier... alas they are still relevant. :)

The latest nutrition guidelines released Monday by the federal government reiterate much of the advice from previous years: eat less salt and saturated fats, eat more fruits and vegetables and whole grains. But there is a startling difference. This time, the government suggests that Americans also just eat less.

EDIBLE BUSINESS TRIP: JOAN GUSSOW CALL US MONKS, PLUGS BROOKLYN AND KICKS OFF THE EDIBLE INSTITUTE
:)
“I feel the need to confess that I don’t quite feel as if I belong here,” Gussow said. “I fail as a foodie…What I am, as I have called myself for years, is a foodist. That is, I’m a fan of food, especially locally produced food. I am perfectly content to eat in the most simply prepared way what comes off my land and off the farms of the people from whom I get my animal and grain products. I do not regularly seek out new food experiences—although I have had some spectacular ones. But for most of my eating I simply relish the repetitive cycle of the seasons that brings me things like daily asparagus in the spring.”

THE ORGANIC ELITE SURRENDERS TO MONSANTO: WHAT NOW?

UGH! In the wake of a 12-year battle to keep Monsanto's Genetically Engineered (GE) crops from contaminating the nation's 25,000 organic farms and ranches, America's organic consumers and producers are facing betrayal. A self-appointed cabal of the Organic Elite, spearheaded by Whole Foods Market, Organic Valley, and Stonyfield Farm, has decided it's time to surrender to Monsanto. Top executives from these companies have publicly admitted that they no longer oppose the mass commercialization of GE crops, such as Monsanto's controversial Roundup Ready alfalfa, and are prepared to sit down and cut a deal for "coexistence" with Monsanto and USDA biotech cheerleader Tom Vilsack.


No comments:

Post a Comment