Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Best Zucchini Bread Ever- Now Gluten Free!

(Yep- this baby is GLUTEN FREE)

A while back I posted on the Best Zucchini Bread Ever- and now I am happy to report I made a version just as delicious, healthy, lower on the glycemic load- that is also gluten free! This recipe is also without Xanthum and/or Guar Gum, which is called for in many gluten free recipes. I found it to give me some odd headaches and I don't think it's necessary.

2/3 Cups Butter
1 2/3 Cups Apple Sauce
1 Cup Sugar (this time I used a mix of Palm Sugar and Xyiltol)
4 Eggs
2/3 Cup Spring Water
3 1/3 Cup "Flour" (this time I used a mix of GF: teff and brown rice flour)
2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1 Table Spoon Ground Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
5 Cups Shredded Zucchini
2-4 Cups Chocolate Chips and/or Nuts (optional- this time I skipped the choc chips + nuts)

The original recipe also called for 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder, but I eliminated due to it's "aluminum" content and it's absence was not noticeable.

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Butter (grease) 4 loaf pans (shorter loaves and cooked through nicely). Mix all ingredients together except for the shredded zucchini and optional chocolate chips with a hand mixer. Once well mixed add in zucchini and chocolate chips if desired. Shake the loaf pan to even out the mixture.

Bake for 60- 70 minutes. I like the tops to be golden brown and a little crispy. Let cool for about 30 minutes to an hour.

p.s. I am not 100% but I believe it's due to the apple sauce in lieu of sugar... this stuff doesn't last that long (a week tops) before the inner part starts to get a little mushy. Unless you are planning on eating it all up or giving some away don't double the batch. Most likely this won't happen because it is super yummy, but wanted to give you a heads up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment