Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Kelly Cutrone Rocks


If you've ever seen MTV's The City, you know who Kelly Cutrone is. For those that don't- well she rocks. Tells it like it is. Even with her language- which is furiously full of expletives.

Side note: if you know me well- you know hearing people swear left+right is like nails on a chalkboard. Vent (except for Cutrone): Show you have some smarts and use proper diction.

Briefly, Cutrone is an icon of sorts in the fashion world, founder of the hugely successful public relations, branding and marketing firm, People's Revolution.

Cutrone has a book out now, "If You Have to Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You". You can't really tell from the title that it would be a really good, insightful, full of wise suggestions- not to mention sort of a heart warming book. I've read the first couple of chapters so far and I am booking marking and underlining what seems like every other word. Though Cutrone is in the fashion world- the book is not alone about that.

Here are some tidbits I've underlined so far, which I think give a good insight to the tone and message of the book...

"This book is a call to awaken and celebrate the magic inside yourself.

Dreams won't always take you on a straight path to destiny, but they're usually related to what your soul wants for you.

I named my company People's Revolution not because I'm a Communist- a popular misconception- but because I happen to believe the world will change only when we change ourselves. And that starts with finding ourselves. And that starts with listening to ourselves: to learning to quiet the clamor in our minds and the voices of everyone around us and move toward what feels right- toward the things we know, for reasons we can't explain, that we're meant to do, the things that make us feel alive. It means taking a journey like the spectacular and terrifying and ultimately mind-blowing adventure I've been on for twenty years. I hope that you too will choose to have a journey instead of just a life.

I want to help you awaken to your inner voice- the voice of your soul- and I want you to use it to chase your destiny, which I define as the greatest possible outcome for your life."

Below is a clip from her show, Kel On Earth. First episode is free on Itunes.

Who said all fashion people were crazy? They might have forgotten to say they (some not all) have some heart + soul too.

No comments:

Post a Comment