Tuesday, December 22, 2009

NYT Article: Sorry, Vegans: Brussels Sprouts Like to Live, Too

(Image NYT: Serge Bloch)

“Plants are not static or silly,” said Monika Hilker of the Institute of Biology at the Free University of Berlin. “They respond to tactile cues, they recognize different wavelengths of light, they listen to chemical signals, they can even talk” through chemical signals. Touch, sight, hearing, speech. “These are sensory modalities and abilities we normally think of as only being in animals,” Dr. Hilker said.

Great article. I am hopeful people will recognize that we are all different and may choose to eat different things... things that all live at some point. I can say this because for some time I chose to eat a "vegan" diet, and I turned my nose down at those who didn't. It was hard not to at the time, but I am glad I kept on learning and though far from perfect, I definitely try my best not to be like that now.

Factory farming- the conditions these animals are raised, live in, and drugged, are horrible and not doing any of us any good. I think most people once they realize this do not want to eat factory farmed meat/food either. However, there is much propaganda out there grouping all "meat" for example as bad, rather than making the distinction that there is a huge and clear difference between for example factory farmed beef/cows versus grass fed as they should be raised in nature cows/beef. Not making that distinction- well, I find that to be completely ignorant and more agenda based.

I do not think veganism or even vegetarianism is the answer. We don't need factory farming, but we definitely don't need soy and wheat crops everywhere either. The whole greenhouse gases from animal excrement would be null and void if it was put back into the earth as yes- nature intended. Less meat/flesh- would definitely help too, but what we need is... balance- as nature intended.

Find the article HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment